September27th

A New 5/3/1 Deload

I wrote this right before my trip to Deathfest and bike wreck – somehow it got lost or deleted amongs the catacombs of the EFS Q/A.  Here it is again in all it’s glory.

Week 1 – 3×5 (as normal)

Week 2 - 3×3 (as normal)

Week 3 – 5/3/1 (as normal)

Week 4 - 65%x3, 75%x3, 85%x3 (don’t go for max reps)

5/3/1 Ebook
5/3/1 Hard Copy on Amazon

• Comment by Ian — September 27, 2011 @ 9:19 pm

Yes! I’m on deload week right now. Ive been lookin for this as i remember reading it awhile back. Love the 531 full body by the way….

• Comment by Penn — September 27, 2011 @ 9:29 pm

I just finished an 8-week run of “5/3/1 for Powerlifting” using this No-Deload set up for the 4th weeks. Bench went from 295 to 315. Only used a 270 & 275 training max.

• Comment by Diego — September 27, 2011 @ 11:29 pm

Is this kind of deload appropriate for the fullbody 5/3/1?

• Comment by RP — September 29, 2011 @ 9:59 am

So instead of the 40%x5reps,50%x5reps,60%x5reps for deload..
    65%,75%,85% for 3 reps?

could this type of deload be used throughout the 5/3/1 cycles?

• Comment by Gordon Wayne Watts — October 7, 2011 @ 11:36 pm

Thx 4 the alternate deload here, Jim. — One quick question:

You don’t think it would over-work me if I tried for max weight (a heavy single = a PR attemps) on deload week, do you? (In fact, one program had the lifter going for a max-weight at VERY low reps = PR attempt EVERY week, even deload week.)

My guess is that is the volume is kept REAL low, it’ll probably be OK & not over-train me. — what u think?? (I am a ‘type-A’ personality that wants to attempt a PR at EVERY session … LOL)

Thx!

• Comment by Joe — May 8, 2012 @ 4:33 am

I’m using the 5/3/1 routine for Deadlifts ONLY (once per week, on Wednesdays) as i cannot squat or bench safely in my home gym and frankly I love deadlifts and want to specialize on them. Is a deload week necessary if i’m only Doing the 5/3/1 for Deadlifts with a few Dead. assist exercises once per week??? By assist exercises I mean weighted AB work and Kroc Rows (the only other exercise I’m doing is parallel bar dips body weight only for a set # of max reps). Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks =-)