October5th

Boring But Big…And Really Sore

The Boring But Big is probably the most popular, the easiest and the most widely talked about assistance protocol for 5/3/1.  There are numerous ways to do this and hereis one of the worst/best.  Like always AND especially for this variation I highly advise you to start with a weight that is too light.  Your body will thank you.

I really only recommend this variation for the squat. There is something to be said about doing some insane lifting/volume for the squat every so often.  It will build muscle mass and mental mass;  two things that are often missing in all of us.

Read the rest of the article here.

5/3/1 Ebook
5/3/1 Hard Copy on Amazon

• Comment by Sam — October 5, 2011 @ 8:17 pm

Have you spoken to Benny lately Jim?

• Comment by Hegel — October 5, 2011 @ 10:55 pm

Benny Podda is more sane than you.

• Comment by Chris — October 6, 2011 @ 8:33 am

You’re on! I’ll let you know how it goes, Jim.

• Comment by Andy — October 7, 2011 @ 8:18 am

Hey Jim,

i managed to find one of the only gyms in my city with a Squat Rack and where im allowed to Deadlift. Because the Squat Rack has no safety pins and im a pussy i switched to Front Squats instead of Back Squats so i can easily dump the weight. In your original 5 3 1 book you wrote it’s ok to use Front Squats as Main Squat movement but in 531 for powerlifting only as assistance, so should i try to back squat without safety or its ok to Front Squat? Sorry for wall of text

• Comment by Jim Wendler — October 7, 2011 @ 3:52 pm

Andy,

It is MUCH safer to squat outside of a rack than inside of it. I would never squat in a rack unless I had to – way to dangerous. Just dump the bar off your back. Also, when are you using a weight so heavy that you are going to be dumping it? Be smart!

• Comment by Andy — October 8, 2011 @ 6:53 am

Thanks for your fast response. I’m currently lifting with a friend of mine and we are both in our 3rd week of 5 3 1 using Front Squats. We are making good progress but still wondering why you changed your mind on Front Squats. Our goal is just to become stronger not competetive Powerlifters. Could you clear our mind with a simple yes or no to Front Squats? Sorry if you answered that question before but I couldn’t find an answer on the whole internet…

• Comment by Andy — October 8, 2011 @ 9:27 am