“Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.” – H.L. Menken
That quote has nothing to do with anything this article is about but I love it. Here are some thoughts I wrote down recently, in no particular order.
- Use “dumb lifts” for extra volume – rack pulls, SS Bar work, swiss bar, etc.
- More people need to do the classic 5/3/1 program – they need the pressure of PR’s to drive home some confidence and put themselves under some pressure. Physical challenges are one part of building a man. Combine this with a varied education and learning how to critically think and you are setting yourself for success as a PERSON. The challenges help build the body and strengthen your mind/character.
- When your diet is in doubt? Steak and eggs.
- Doing too many lifts? Refer to John Broz and find 6 lifts and hammer them.
- Take Box Jumps seriously.
- Goals are there to reach – not to make sense.
- Challenge yourself with rope chins. Don’t have a rope? Use towels.
- Do straight leg hanging leg raises. Touch the bar with your feet.
- There is a price to pay for hard conditioning. Don’t do it if you are not prepared to pay it.
- Best training book ever? You’re spiral bound training log.
- Experience is a hard teacher – those that eschew that in favor of “easier” will never learn. Remember “Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit.” – Rollins
- Use your Bench Press numbers for the SLDL. Your sets and reps will be 5/5/10-20 – for every week.
- Have 2-3 “when in doubt” templates. Do one of them for 6 weeks when you lose your way.