September29th

Time to Man Up

I’m going to have to give you some Tough Lust here (no lube or spit). First, I need for you to re-read this article, especially this part:

“Where performance and kicking ass are more important than how you look. Where people eat to live, not live to eat. Where trucks are pushed and sleds are pulled. Where reps and weight are counted, calories are not. Where running isn’t “cardio, it’s part of training and if you’re going to walk for your conditioning you best have something on your back or in your hands”

You admit that you are not strong enough (many of us feel this way but understand that it is an ongoing process and that THIS process is important). But please DO NOT be that guy who talks about where he holds his fat or how his legs or “obliques” are fattier than they should be. Where has our gender gone?

What I would prescribe for you is to get rid of all these silly, pathetic and disgusting notions of what you think a man should look like and start over. I’m going to give everyone a huge hint here: no one gives a shit what you look like. Now I’m not saying being a fat slob doesn’t raise some eyebrows in disgust, but if you kick as much ass as possible in the weight room and conditioning field AND start OWNING the fuck out of your given “sport” (you better start competing and making your training count), you will not only LOOK better but you will feel better. People are not attracted to vanity – they are attracted to confidence and passion. No one owns a room by the way they look; it’s how they carry themselves.

There is so much more to this, but PLEASE don’t talk about your love handles. Talk about your passions in life, talk about how you’ve moved boulders, talk about the books you’ve read, talk about the world’s you’ve changed. You have the passion for training, start making this shit count.

I know this is probably way off topic then what you wanted but I’m trying hard to get rid of all this bullshit that is plaguing SO MANY men, young men and boys. So in conclusion, I recommend this:

1. Stretch 2. Lift 3. Sprint

Do this all the time – no bulking, no cutting, no bullshit. Just training for being a motherfucker. Don’t be that guy that takes shirtless photos of himself so other men can drool on them. That shit is a disgrace to every man that has done anything awesome in his life – while they were busy “doing” these shirtless ‘tards were busy trying to look the part. Get off the bench and get on the field.

5/3/1 Ebook
5/3/1 Hard Copy on Amazon
TNation Blood and Chalk

• Comment by Matt — September 29, 2011 @ 12:17 pm

This article should not only be read, but studied by most men who claim to “train.” Too many high school athletes that I’ve encountered are more focused on looking ripped and having abs for girls, than training for the sport they’ve grown up loving since the time they could walk. This article is a gem. Train to be a motherfucker.

• Comment by Adriaan — September 29, 2011 @ 12:19 pm

I love this kind of articles.

• Comment by York — September 29, 2011 @ 2:03 pm

train to be a motherfucker! best article ever

• Comment by Z — September 29, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

I have this article hanging in my garage gym. Fucking awesome writing.

• Comment by Blake — September 29, 2011 @ 2:26 pm

I love it that he used a picture of Conan…

• Comment by Bob Davis — September 29, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

By Crom, I will be the motherfuckingest motherfucker out there.
    I’m going to have to hang this in the break room at work.

• Comment by sergoun — September 29, 2011 @ 4:09 pm

I can only imagine Jim giving “wake up slaps” while preaching his beliefs!!

Excellent stuff mate, specially the ” no bulking, no cutting, no bullshit. Just training for being a motherfucker. ” can’t think of any athletic guy that is a fat slob.. Really can’t fucking do it!

• Comment by Theo — September 29, 2011 @ 7:30 pm

fucking win.

• Comment by Blake — September 29, 2011 @ 7:41 pm

Righteous!

Here’s another article that shares the same spirit.

“Fuckarounditis most commonly manifests itself as an intense preoccupation with crunches, curls, cable movements, belts, gloves, balance boards, Swiss Balls and Tyler Durden. Fear of squats and deadlifts is another distinguishing trait.”

• Comment by Chad — September 29, 2011 @ 8:01 pm

A-Fuckin-Men for this!

• Comment by Mac — September 29, 2011 @ 8:50 pm

Awesome fucking tructh….

• Comment by Josh — September 29, 2011 @ 10:43 pm

I have been called a motherfucker many times in my life. I now know exactly why.

I also had that picture as my facebook profile pic for months.

I go as Wendler goes. Awesomely!!!

• Comment by Mads Robin — September 30, 2011 @ 3:39 am

Yeah I agree, however I think stretching is overrated.

• Comment by Nikola — September 30, 2011 @ 5:11 am

You can never repeat “no bulking, no cutting, no bullshit. Just training for being a motherfucker.” enough. Really, you can’t. Fantastic article Jim, as a newbie, I hear you and am all up in this shit.

@Mads Robin
    That may be the case, but you can say that for training too. There’s plenty of inhumanly strong fuckers out there that never touched weight, but did _something_ that made them that way. Not that your argument isn’t valid, but try not to stick it anywhere you can.

• Comment by Carson — September 30, 2011 @ 6:30 am

Great article. Loved it. Function not fashion. I just bought a bag for my ipad, some may call it a man purse. I don’t give a shit. It has a function and that is what counts. Fuck the others. At 51, I attempt to live as you wrote – just do the shit. I try to get my athletes to understand that as well. There is NO ONE out there but YOU – so man up (or woman up – I coach women as well) and just get it done. One woman I coach (she is a world champ in her sport) apologizes when she grunts or screams during lifts. Don’t apologize, just do what it takes to get it done. Keep up the great work. You are tough, you are at times obscene, but you tell it like it is. Thank you.

• Comment by Mark — September 30, 2011 @ 6:55 am

Superb. Straight to the F*@$%ng point!!
    Respect.

• Comment by john — September 30, 2011 @ 7:21 am

Awesome post. I wish I could spread this everywhere for all to see.

• Comment by zach even - esh — September 30, 2011 @ 8:02 am

This article is the shit, they need to teach this kind of stuff in school and build an army of bad mother fuckers!!

Dr. Wendler delivers!

• Comment by Todd Fawcett — September 30, 2011 @ 12:02 pm

This kind of shit makes me ready to run thru a fucking wall. I’m gonna print this off and put it on my bathroom mirror, my fridge, my office and my gym so every time I feel like being a bitch and eat shitty food or not train or just fucking complain, I can get a little reminder of what real motherfuckers do.

• Comment by KJ Brix — September 30, 2011 @ 3:36 pm

I try not to allow myself to be unduly influenced by any one individual, but I’ll be damned if every time I read something from Jimmy W. I don’t end up influenced by it. I’m even growing a beard and I ran hill sprints in the dark last night.

Training to be Awesome.

• Comment by BJN — September 30, 2011 @ 5:11 pm

This article has so many good points to it!!! I agree with all of them. but especially as far as the training goes. The most “ripped” I’ve been was when I was playing football. And I was eating anything I could find to keep my weight up. The combination of heavy weights, lots of sprinting and sport specific drills (conditioning) really is the key. If only I would have known how important stretching were back then!!

• Comment by Isaac — September 30, 2011 @ 9:23 pm

Im guilty of training to look good…after reading this, time to train to be a MOTHERFUCKEN MOTHERFUCKER!

• Comment by Mike — September 30, 2011 @ 9:57 pm

Jim,

I get it and I promise not to ask another question about 531 ever again. You have presented this information in such a simple and effective manner. Its so simple – stretch, lift, sprint. Everyone wants to complicate this shit – I don’t have a hill, only a sled, no prowler, hill sprints in the snow, blah, blah, blah, shit, fuck and everything else. Whatever, just be awesome. And speaking of awesome just started boring but big. Not boring at all. Simple and effective. Train to be a motherfucker? I’m training to be a badass motherfucker.

• Comment by Lachlan — October 1, 2011 @ 1:48 am

JIM!

Kick ass article BROTHER!

Keep speaking the truth! And Big Z is right! This is CLASSROOM MATERIAL!

Thanks mate!

• Comment by dwoodske — October 2, 2011 @ 12:11 am

Awesome,

Top F**king ten I am sharing this.

• Comment by Emily — October 2, 2011 @ 8:33 pm

Can we Woman up too????? As a WoMan, I, too, am embarrassed by my gender at times. I tell the women I work with to stop worrying about what they look like and start worrying about what they can lift. If you can’t squat your own damn bodyweight as a woman, you got some work ahead of you. Great post. On month three of the program. 195×10 for deadlift the other day. One year into my training. Years to go. Thanks Jim.

• Comment by DAWG PAWS — October 4, 2011 @ 10:31 pm

GREAT ARTICLE,,,I GET IT,,,AWSOME. I HAVE BOTH BOOKS,,HOPE I AM TRINING TO BE AWSOME, STILL A LITTLE CONFUSED ABOUT ADJUSTING NUMBERS, SURE I AM OVERCOMPLICATING THIS,

• Comment by matt — October 5, 2011 @ 5:54 am

Fucking right, stop all the bull shit that you’ve been doing in the gym. Hook a plate up and start doing pull ups and weighted dips. Prove to yourself that you are THAT Mother Fucker and make everyone else want the energy and POWER (you) have…. Get it NOW!

• Pingback by Weekly Review: RIP Steve Jobs, Be A Man, Strength Training, Rack A Front Squat, Squatting 101, Love Training | John Phung — October 8, 2011 @ 2:08 pm

[...] Jim Wendler tells you “Don’t be that guy that takes shirtless photos of himself so other men can drool on them” and to man up. [...]

• Comment by AJ_Photochick — October 8, 2011 @ 6:37 pm

That is probably one of the most f-ing awesome brutally honest truths I’ve ever read…! This is coming from a chick’s perspective btw. Wish you could get every man on the planet to read this – SERIOUSLY. Got one of them for girls too??! It’s even MORE desperately needed (imho). Thanks for the kick-@$$ read!!!

• Comment by Isaac Wilkins — October 11, 2011 @ 3:50 pm

Awesome, Jim. Like Big Z and Lachlan said, this should be required reading.

You hit on it when you said that training your ass off and playing the shit out of your sport (ie becoming awesome) will make you look pretty awesome, too. So many of these fucks spend hours and hours and so much energy doing shit they hate so they can look awesome and move like pussies where as if you spend time moving like an animal and having fun in your sport you’ll end up with the results everyone wants.

Putting the cart before the horse, it’s the American Way.

Isaac

• Pingback by Man Up | Cactus CrossFit — October 13, 2011 @ 8:41 am

[...] Man Up [...]

• Pingback by Shared Wisdom: 10/15/11 — October 15, 2011 @ 1:31 pm

[...] Time To Man Up (Jim Wendler) – I just discovered Jim’s blog after doing his 5/3/1 program for 10 months straight.  The man is a legend. [...]

• Pingback by Sunday Reading 16.10.11 — October 16, 2011 @ 3:05 am

[...] Time to man up -jimwendler.com [...]

• Pingback by Thursday 10/20/11 | Derby City CrossFit - Louisville, KY — October 19, 2011 @ 10:02 pm

[...] & What to Do About Them Breath Control VO2 Max Calculator – Just Input Your 2k Row! Time to Man Up Don’t Be “That Paleo Guy” (or [...]

• Comment by Jeroen — January 2, 2012 @ 5:05 pm

This right here put a smile on my face.
    Time to spread this troughout Europa (Holland), gonna smack this in every “man”‘s face who is fucking annoying me with his new year’s resolutions.
    Keep up the good work.. we following u worldwide!

• Comment by Kev — April 8, 2012 @ 11:24 am

This should be on billboards, gym walls and schools all over. Tell em like it is brotha.