January23rd

More on the Deload

I get asked a lot of questions about the deload and if it is necessary. Or “Can I skip the deload? I’m a beginner.” Or if they can do dynamic barbell work in place of the normal training. I’d like to answer, “If I didn’t believe in the deload, then I wouldn’t have written it.” Just the same reason as to why I don’t do Zercher squats, overhead squats or count calories.

Here are some easy points to remember on deloading.

* When in doubt, do the deload. Don’t be in such a rush to stall out.

• Do SOMETHING during the deload week, don’t just take it off. Life has a funny way of giving you “natural” deloads so take those when they come. This means holidays in which you miss a week of training, vacations, finals week, birth of a baby, sickness, etc.

• You can increase the conditioning provided it at the beginning of the week – but please don’t overdo it. You can’t deload the lifting and increase the conditioning to such a degree that it nullifies the point of the deload.

• If you train 4 days/week, you can cut the training down on the deload week to two times per week. Do the squat/ bench in one session and the deadlift/press on the other.

• To remain on schedule (i.e. the power of habit), go to the gym at the normal time and go the normal amount of days you usually train. So even if you coalesce 4 days of lifting in 2 days, go to the gym the other 2 days and do a thorough stretching/rolling/mobility session. And now the obligatory Slayer reference (paraphrased) – “Transforming four days to two/Learn the sacred words of praise!”

• In reference to the above a training week would be:

Monday – Squat/Bench
Tuesday – Parisi Warm-up
Thursday – Deadlift/Press
Friday – Parisi Warm-up

• I don’t recommend doing dynamic barbell training as a substitute for deloading.

Get the 2nd Edition 5/3/1 Ebook Here
5/3/1 Hard Copy on Amazon

• Pingback by 5/3/1 Deload - Page 3 - Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums — January 23, 2012 @ 4:22 pm

[...] Posted by DrBdan Posted today by Wendler: More on the Deload – JimWendler.com I'll add this to the article thread. I think this may be the first Deload related article. [...]

• Comment by CW — January 23, 2012 @ 4:29 pm

Thanks Wendler this is timely as I have to deload this week and am having to adjust the schedule around for travel this weekend.

• Comment by Mr. Pete — January 23, 2012 @ 5:48 pm

Great article, as always. I recently downloaded the 5/3/1 2nd edition ebook, where Jim atated that if you wanted/needed to train twice a week, there was no need for a deload. That means if you chose option one, each cycle lasted only three weeks, and you’d start anew on week four. That make the fastest version of the program in terms of progression. Pretty sweet.

• Comment by JP — January 23, 2012 @ 7:30 pm

Awesome post Jim, always to the point. Althought definetly off topic I was wondering if you could give an example of a bodyweight only full body size/strength workout. Any input is appreciated, Thanx in advanced.

• Comment by Jared — January 23, 2012 @ 9:08 pm

You’re articles are always short and too the point. You say what you mean to say from the beginning and don’t add fluff. I like that.

Got the 2nd edition of the book. Keep being awesome.

• Comment by Mads — January 24, 2012 @ 4:47 am

Deloading is boring though.

• Comment by shaun — January 24, 2012 @ 7:22 am

do you recommend doing some light walking on the warm up stretch days? also, do your two heavy conditioning days on the lift days?

• Comment by Jim Wendler — January 24, 2012 @ 8:35 pm

Shaun,if you do something similar to the Parisi Warm-up, you won’t have to walk to get “ready and warm”. But in general, in can be a great thing (as can doing light Prowler pushes) to warm-up the body prior to stretching.

• Comment by Wilfred — January 29, 2012 @ 1:18 pm

Jim,
    Why do you say you don’t believe in counting calories?

• Comment by Jim Wendler — January 29, 2012 @ 5:00 pm

I’ve got better things to do with my time – plus it doesn’t matter.

• Pingback by More on the Deload | Tc Training Systems — February 21, 2012 @ 10:31 pm

[...] Leave a Comment More on the Deload I get asked a lot of questions about the deload and if it is necessary. Or “Can I skip the deload? I’m a beginner.” Or if they can do dynamic barbell work in place of the normal training. I’d like to answer, “If I didn’t believe in the deload, then I [...] JimWendler.com [...]